Below you will find ways to simplify your Playlist by combining pieces. Managing your repertoire will become easier because your Playlist will be shorter, and at the same time you’ll end up with longer, more satisfying pieces to play.
Only undertake a combination when:
- All pieces involved are “alive,” i.e., for each one you can:
- Put your hands immediately in the correct position to begin the song.
- Start playing the song right away once in the correct position.
- Play the song smoothly and evenly through the end.
- You will perform the pieces together as a single long piece. Avoid listing different versions of a song on the same line if you always perform them separately. They may need to be practiced at different frequencies in order to be kept alive, and so they should be tracked as separate Playlist items. Even if you practice them equally often, tracking them individually is good for both discipline and clarity.
- You’re confident you’ll still be able to play each original part by itself whenever your teacher asks you to do so.
More advice on how to simplify the management of your Playlist can be found in these Lesson Line pieces:
On with the combinations.
Appropriate curriculum tracks are listed separately (e.g., Foundation, Accompaniment, but not Arrangements because these pieces are combined with their Foundation originals). Within each track, songs are listed in the order in which they are typically learned. Combination suggestions for each song are listed in the order in which you might typically be able to make them. You’ll be able to make some combinations for songs further down the list sooner than some combinations for songs higher up, e.g., the first Night Storm combination can typically be done before the first Dreams Come True combination.
This list of combination suggestions will be ongoingly updated with items farther along in the curriculum. Bookmark this page so you can easily check back for new combination ideas. And remember, except for those combinations which are provided formally by your teacher during your lessons, these are just suggestions.
Last updated: March 2, 2010
Dreams Come True
- Dreams Come True + Dreams Come True Acc. / A1 = Dreams Come True (1/A1)
- Dreams Come True D / V1 + Dreams Come True Chords / A2 = Dreams Come True (V1/A2)
- Dreams Come True (V1/A2) + Dreams Come True Broken / A3 = Dreams Come True (V1/A2/A3)
- Night Storm + Night Storm Run & End / V1 = Night Storm (1/V1)
- Night Storm (1/V1) + Night Storm Acc. / A1 = Night Storm (1/V1/A1)
- Night Storm (1/V1/A1) + Night Storm Broken / A2 = Night Storm (1/V1/A1/A2)
- Jackson Blues + Jackson Blues Ands / V1 = Jackson Blues (1/V1)
- Jackson Blues Humpty / A1 and Jackson Blues Humpty Up / A2: Experiment and create your own combination with the versions above
- Honey Dew + Honey Dew Dm / V1 = Honey Dew (All)
- Honey Dew (All) + Honey Dew Thick / A1 = Honey Dew (All/A1): consider playing regularly for the first half and then Thick for the second half
- Honey Dew Humpty / A2: Experiment and create your own combination with the versions above
Chester Chills Out
- Chester Chills Out + Chester Chills Out Samba / V1 = Chester Chills Out (1/V1)
Ode to Joy
- Ode to Joy + Ode to Joy C Section = Ode to Joy (ABCB)
- Ode to Joy (ABCB) + Ode to Joy Triads & Zigzag / V1 = Ode to Joy (All)
Bishop St. Blues
- Bishop St. Blues + Bishop St. Blues Ands / V1 = Bishop St. Blues (1/V1)
- Bishop St. Blues Humpty / A1 and Bishop St. Blues Humpty Up / A2: Experiment and create your own combination with the versions above
Consider different options for the three different verses.
- Amazing Grace + Amazing Grace Acc. V1 / V1 = Amazing Grace (1/V1)
- Amazing Grace (1/V1) + Amazing Grace 7th Chords = Amazing Grace (1/V1/7ths)
- Amazing Grace Thick / A1: Experiment and create your own combination with the versions above
- Amazing Grace Humpty / A2: Experiment and create your own combination with the versions above
- Amazing Grace Splits+ / V2: Experiment and create your own combination with the version above
- Amazing Grace (C) + Amazing Grace (D) = Amazing Grace (C>D)
- Amazing Grace (C>D) + Amazing Grace (E) = Amazing Grace (C>D>E)
- Fur Elise + Fur Elise 2nd Section = Fur Elise (1/2)
- Fur Elise (1/2) + Fur Elise 9E’s & 3+3 / V1 = Fur Elise (All)
Alma Mater Blues
- Alma Mater Blues + Alma Mater Blues 2nd Section = Alma Mater Blues (1/2)
- Alma Mater Blues (1/2) + Alma Mater Blues 3rd Section = Alma Mater Blues (1/2/3)
- Alma Mater Blues (1/2/3) + Alma Mater Blues Blues Scale / V1 = Alma Mater Blues (All)
I’ll Be There
- I’ll Be There + I’ll Be There Tailpiece / V1 = I’ll Be There (1/V1)
- I’ll Be There (1/V1) + I’ll Be There Chords / A1 = I’ll Be There (1/V1/A1)
- I’ll Be There (1/V1/A1) + I’ll Be There Acc. / A2 = I’ll Be There (1/V1/A1/A2)
Minuet in G
- Minuet in G + Minuet in G 1st Section = Minuet in G (All)
Star Spangled Banner
- Star Spangled Banner + Star Spangled Banner 2nd Section = Star Spangled Banner (All)
- Light Blue + Light Blue 2nd Section / V1 = Light Blue (1/V1)
- Light Blue (1/V1) + Light Blue 3rd Section = Light Blue (All)
Look under the Foundations track above.
Auld Lang Syne
- Auld Lang Syne (C) + Auld Lang Syne (D) = Auld Lang Syne (C>D)
- Auld Lang Syne (C>D) + Auld Lang Syne (E) = Auld Lang Syne (C>D>E)
- Danny Boy (Db) + Danny Boy (Eb) = Danny Boy (Db>Eb)