The dynamic group environment accelerates musical learning.
- Multiple types of learning through observation and experience.
- Variety, physicality and group dynamics are energizing and fun for students and teacher, dramatically increasing students’ attention and engagement.
- Questions and comments not all students would think of on their own.
- Interactive discussion can deepen learning.
- Pairings and mentor groups increase in-lesson educational support.
- Classmates provide opportunity for out-of-lesson educational support.
- Presence of others facilitates singing along, providing more holistic musical learning.
- Playing and singing together gives ensemble performance experience.
- Playing in front of others provides public performance experience.
- Constructive peer pressure – groups increases students’ sense of accountability and can speed up those who would have been slower.
Music returns to its natural context as a joyful cooperative activity.
- Students develop social skills and engage in teamwork.
- Group dynamics create room for each unique personality.
- Appreciation for multiple perspectives – everyone learns from everyone, not only from the teacher.
- Community, camaraderie, friendship – within piano learning and potentially beyond as well.
- No student is on the spot with the teacher for the entire lesson – opportunity to hide when needed based on personality, mood, etc.
- Students learn to teach others – faster students in particular can take on a leadership role.
- Parent/coach gains support from other students and parents/coaches.
- Many of the musical advantages are social ones as well.
The return on investment increases dramatically.
- Significantly lower financial cost per lesson.
- Greater opportunity to exchange classes to avoid missing a lesson.
- Classmates can help students catch up when a lesson is missed.
- All the musical and social benefits would be missed in private lessons.
- The revolutionary Simply Music piano method.
- Our short-term beginner piano workshops.
- Taking piano lessons live online via videoconference.
- Determining an appropriate age for starting lessons.
- See the latest from the Potluck Creative Arts Lesson Line, a newsletter providing special information and useful tips to help make your piano lesson experience as successful as possible!