Selected Works by Mark S. Meritt
- At the Cantina and A Long Time Ago and Far, Far Away (2020), from Ben Kenobi’s Cantina Time – Episode IV – Ben Kenobi Talks About Social Distancing
- Songwriting Cycle (2010-2012) Two songs written for this challenge-based cooperative songwriting project
- SpinTunes (2010-2011) Several songs written for this challenge-based songwriting contest
- Everyone’s Invited (2008) A album of original songs for kids and families, under the stage name The Offhand Band
- Our Whole Lives (2007) A powerful ballad about the joy of transforming one’s life, and how our journeys toward wholeness interconnect
- Come Out (2006) A disco anthem for all homos — sapiens, that is!
- Someone Duplicated the Key to My Heart (2001) A 1920s-style ditty on romantic confusion. Awarded Honorable Mention and Top 500 by Billboard Magazine‘s 11th Annual Songwriting Contest, July 2003, and called “exceptional songwriting” by the 2003 Great American Song Contest.
- Three Times a Burger (2000) A big band ode to ground beef.
- The Fall of the Roxy Usher (1997) An art deco fantasy about self-betrayal. Awarded Honorable Mention and Top 500 by Billboard Magazine‘s 11th Annual Songwriting Contest, July 2003.
- The Game, from The Right Circles (1994) A rock-pop quartet of schemers.
- Birth of a Bohemian, from The Right Circles (1994) A racy Gilbert-and-Sullivanesque number about creating a character.
- Ready and Willing, from The Right Circles (1994) A torch song about devotion.
- Miranda’s Rights, from The Right Circles (1994) A moving ballad, standing up for love.
- Falling into the Sun (1993) An environmentalist rock-pop protest song. Awarded Honorable Mention by Billboard Magazine‘s 11th Annual Songwriting Contest, July 2003.
- That’s the Kind of Girl I Like, from Cupid’s Arrow (1988) A Dixieland paean to the perfect woman.
- Let Her Know, from Cupid’s Arrow (1988) A jazzy rock advice song about expressing one’s feelings.
- Maybe, from Cupid’s Arrow (1988) A melacholy duet hoping for a happy ending.
Original Stage Musicals
- The Right Circles (1994) Scheming Broadway writers make fun of avant garde theatre, but what goes around comes around. Includes links to all score selections.
- Cupid’s Arrow (1988) A hip immortal helps college students find love. Includes links to all score selections.
Selected Screenplays and Motion Pictures
- Deadline (1996) A feature screenplay in which a serial killer and a newspaper reporter enter a deadly relationship.
- Citizen Arcane, a.k.a. The Lion’s Share (1995) A feature screenplay telling the true story of the man who plotted to assassinate Richard Nixon, written nearly a decade before the Sean Penn film on the same subject.
- Gratuitous Violence (1992) A short film which spoofs Hollywood spy movies. Includes links to all score selections.
Complete Online Archives
See the complete archives for Mark’s songs, instrumentals, theatre and motion picture work, or visit Potluck to browse through many more of Mark’s varied works.